Pages

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Ok, Hive readers, this one's for you...

I think I've already decided how I'm going to handle this situation-but this is something that everyone may have experienced in the creative world, but I would like to know: how would you or did you handle it?
I have a customer that brought me her mother's antique metal shank buttons about a YEAR ago, along with a photo of a finished charm chain type bracelet, and said "Make this for me with these buttons".  So I did.  I charged her $35.00 for the extra supplies (the chain, clasp, jump rings, etc) and of course, my time.  She took it, thanked me, and I didn't hear from her again until JUNE.  She brought the bracelet back, and said she decided she didn't like how it hung (keep in mind the buttons are METAL) and could I possibly find another solution.  Well, ladies (and any gents) - I've been attempting to find another solution ever since.  I even purchased a BOOK specifically for BUTTON jewelry, and have met with her at least 3 times for design approval.  Every time she would say, "Still not what I was going for" and leave me to try, try again.  I have also purchased other supplies in that attempt as well - heavier chain, memory wire, bigger rings, to no avail.  She just could not be pleased.  Meanwhile - I have my shop and other customers, my Etsy shop, shows to prepare for, blogs to write and life to live.  I decided as of yesterday, that I could no longer try to please this woman.  So I left a pleasant message apologizing that I hadn't come up with any new ideas, and that I was giving her buttons back.  She immediately called back and asked for a refund. 
I have decided to give her a PARTIAL refund - but feel the materials and TIME that I have spent, not to mention the fact that she had the original piece for about 6 months before she came back with it, merit that I still be PAID for some of it.  What would you do in this situation?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have to say I would not give any refund.I'd point out the time you spent & book you bought exceded what you charged, not to mention you did deliver a finished product that she wore until she changed her mind.

coolmoon said...

She came and picked up her buttons and partial refund today. Didn't make a peep. Probably the last I'll see of her, though. Oh well.
I found a picture of the original bracelet in my photo file - I may post it. I think I'm glad I have it-at least to prove that there WAS a workable bracelet at one time....