Pages

Friday, May 3, 2013

Doin’ that Libra thing

As far as table display and design are concerned, I’ve ALWAYS decorated my tables.  Lights; color; flowers; small (and sometimes not so small) additions to make it my own.  BUT – I’m starting to wonder if my extra effort to create beauty on my table – is taking away from the fact at hand – THE JEWELRY.  Here are a few examples of my ‘over the top-ness’ when it comes to doing my tables for shows:  (What can I say?  I’m a Libra with Virgo in the first house!)

001 (2)

001

59996_440181544279_759224_n

heritage 2011

I know, right?  I have had many people COMPLIMENT me on my beautiful tables, and how much fun they are to look at – but are they looking at what they’re supposed to be looking at?  THE JEWELRY?   So it seems that the last show I did, and the subsequent blog post, as well as a meet up with one of the fellow vendors from the show – has given me a lot to think about, and I’ve been doing a lot of pondering, thinking, mulling for the last few days.  Will I be happy – will I still be passionate about this gig – if I ‘change it up’.  Will creating less beauty with the table put more profit in my pocket from what’s ON the table?  I have been to many MANY art fairs and craft shows where the designer just ‘plops’ the jewelry either on the table, or lays it out on a velvet board.  Easy Peasy.  BORING.  But maybe that’s what it takes.  And as far as the jewelry goes – I’m not sure I can BE happy making simpler, carbon copy designs.  But it seems that’s what the people may want.  I realized that many of my pieces are simply too much like that – MY PIECES.  I like them.  I like big.  I like chunky.  I like elaborate and flashy.  I like people to NOTICE ME.  But apparently I’m among the minority.  I was (rudely) told by one of the vendors at the last show that my pieces are for SPECIAL OCCASIONS.  Only for people that like bling.  And who would want to wear that on a daily basis?  To which I wanted to reply ‘go mind your own beeswax and table”.  But is she right?  Do I need to be more ‘cookie cutter’ with my creations? My heart tells me that I would rather be known for my individuality  -  my OOAK-ness, and I’m afraid that no matter how hard I try – my ME-ness is going to come out in my jewelry.  No matter WHAT. 
So as I ponder and think and mull this week – I think I’m going to TRY something at my next show (or maybe two).  Just a bright cheery table cloth, a vase of flowers, and nothing but flat jewelry trays and an earring tree or two.  I may also load my two purple “picture frame” racks with things and use them at the back of the table.  But other than that – no ‘stuff’.  But as far as the jewelry – I still have a very large inventory of the ME stuff – and although I may try to mark some down, it’s still blingy and bright.  LIKE ME!
Have a wonderful weekend, beady peeps!  Now that Mother Nature has decided to bring us full on spring – it’s been gorgeous.  I’m going to have to break out the summer clothes very SOOOON!
Peaceful beading,
TTFN

No comments: