Pages

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

The magic bracelet

I've been meaning to blog about this - and finally remembered to take a photograph today.
This is a bracelet that I made about 4 or 5 years ago - An embellished herringbone.  As you can see - the original bracelet is white, with embellishments of an odd size seed bead I found at one of the LBS'es - I think they're like a size 14 galvanized hex, or something like that.
Anyway - this is what it looked like brand new:

After having it in the shop inventory for awhile, and then at a few shows, I decided I would keep it for myself, but because I don't wear white a whole lot - it kinda got pushed around and buried in the box I was using for bracelets.
Fast forward to this summer, when I suddenly had the perfect outfit with which to wear a white embellished herringbone bracelet.
Only NOW - now it's taken on a new look - like magic:


 I'm assuming that the galvanized gold "tarnished", but how it managed to tarnish in several different colors is a mystery to me.  Probably not to a science nerd - but it is to me.  I actually like it much better THIS way - the colors really pop against the tan I've gotten this summer, and I've been wearing it quite a bit.
So there you have it.  My magic bracelet.    ;0)
Working on something totally new and different today.  While shopping for Mom's all white beads yesterday, I came across a very cool turquoise focal, and some accent beads to go along.   The colors that I'm pairing with the turquoise focal are not typical - they just happened to be hanging right next to it - and I decided I kinda liked them together.  You'll have to let me know if you agree when I finally get a finished photo posted.
Peaceful beading,
TTFN

2 comments:

Sally Anderson said...

It seems so odd that the finish on those beads didn't "age" the same way so that they'd still look alike, just different from how they started. I agree -- it does look really cool like this. Who'dathunk???
Glad to hear that you didn't get turquoised out! Can't wait to see what you're making!

coolmoon said...

I know right? I thought it was quite magic that they turned that way. Maybe someday I'll run into some science nerd/bead lover that can explain to me why they did that. Until then - the magical mystery remains.
Hope you're doing well, Sally. ONE more week to go!
Sheryl