Pages

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Book learnin'

As I sit here (im) patiently waiting for my copy of Marcia DeCoster Presents to arrive, it occurred to me that I may never have (or at least in a loooooooong time) mentioned the fact that I had self published a couple of books myself.  And something else you may not know, the humble quiet beader that I am (  wink, wink ) - I have had two necklaces published in the WORD (What Our Readers Did) section of Beadwork magazine, had a project published, and have appeared in a beautiful inspiration book as well.  This all happened a few years ago - during the time - and even a bit before - that I owned the bead store.  Wasn't blogging as much.  Facebook didn't exist.  Just a few of those accomplishments that came, went - and life went on.
But -  NOW is as good a time as any to reminisce a bit - let me take you back to the very first thing that I ever had appear in a magazine:   Beadwork's What Our Readers Did section.  I believe it was 2004ish (please don't make me dig out the magazine again!)  It was a unique piece of Selenite, fringed and accented with STERLING silver, with a dragonfly theme.  Dustin Wedekind himself called me regarding sending them this piece to be photographed, and asked me to 'submit more'.  It took me a few years to do so, and alas - this particular piece was STOLEN from the bead shop not long after it was returned.  :(  (Notice that they spelled my name wrong!)

My next appearance was an actual project submission - again, in Beadwork.  Dec/January 2005/6, it was when Swarovski first came out with the SQUARE pendants:
The project was for a bracelet, surrounding the squares with a figure 8 of seed beads.  I still have that piece around here, somewhere.....




About that same time came the "Call for Artists" from Penelope Diamonti for an inspirational 'coffee table' type book, to be published to coincide with the D.C. Bead Museum "Spirited Away" Gala.  I was stunned and excited to actually be included (along side ZOYA GOTINA among others!)- and even more excited to have SOLD my piece at the museum gala event.  I WISH that I had been able to be in attendance - Washington D.C. was just a bit of a commute for me.  :)




Quite prestigious, wouldn't you say?

But my most exciting foray into the book world was self publishing a book - well, two actually.  First came
Beading Zen - Finding Yourself Among your Beads
At the time, I was not only running my little store, but I also worked part time at a new age shop here in town.  Metaphysical teachings had come into my life - and helped change my life - just 8 or so years before - I learned so much - and felt this urge to share my knowledge of beads, and the new age energies, and how they sometimes related to each other.  This is also a book with much basic knowledge of all things beading- selling, displaying, organizing - and a bit of a history lesson too. 



 This was SO much fun, that I decided to publish yet another book - My Life in Beads.  It is more of a photo journal, and was a way for me to keep a 'portfolio' of sorts available for showing to potential gallery and shop owners.  Obviously, this was before IPads and NookColors were invented.   I can do that digitally now!  This book also has some beautiful quotes inside; I keep this one on my bead table for daily inspiration.  I would LOVE to publish yet another book - one on doing displays and shows - and I have TONS of info filed and photographed and ready - but I'm not sure that self publishing is the way to go this time.  When the time is right - it will happen.  BOTH of these books - Beading Zen and My Life in Beads - are STILL available by visiting www.blurb.com  I believe each were about $25 for hardcover, less for a soft cover version.  Their prices may have changed since I published them, however.



There was one more W.O.R.D. appearance, but that magazine has gone into a pile with many others - I think it was winter of 2010.....a blue and silver circle 'mandala' type necklace that was returned just in time for me to gift it to my mother for Christmas.  Shew!

In 2012 - I submitted a biography and photos to be featured online through The Great Lakes Bead Guild, of which I am a member.  I believe the feature is still available on their website - www.greatlakesbeadworkersguild.org

And of course - we fast forward to 2014.  Mariposa appears already in the online gallery for Fire Mountain Gems, and will be in the new big whopping spring catalog everyone gets every spring.  Along with other appearances to come, it's my greatest accomplishment yet.

I hope I haven't bored you with my trip down memory(book) lane.
I'll be blogging again soon about Marcia's book, and all the beautiful people and pieces inside.  
CAN'T WAIT!

Many events and plans in the works for 2014!  It's gonna be my YEAR!
Peaceful beading,
TTFN






No comments: