Pages

Saturday, February 8, 2014

Hot off the presses....

What a beautiful publication.  Beautifully written.  Beautifully photographed.  Seriously.  If you don't have it yet - dig deep into your Bead and Button show money (there's still time to save more!) and ORDER IT!
My copy came yesterday - so I bundled up, trudged through the snow in the driveway, streeeeetched myself way over the snowbank, almost slipping and giving all the passers by something to laugh at.  Finally.  At last it was in my hands.  I grabbed something to drink, a cozy blanket and a pillow and curled up for two hours of amazing photos and interviews.  One of my favorite parts of this book is that it showcases work from a few artists that aren't as well known, along with those that we know and love everyday.   There are features on some of my favorite peeps - Cynthia Newcomer-Daniel, Nancy Dale and Betty Stephan!

Another wonderful feature, and a great tribute - Marcia's interview with the late Linda Jones.


So much COLOR! in this book.  My favorite colorful page:


Here's more of Sian's uniquely BRIGHT beadwork:
 These little guys were one of the first things I OOOOHED over when I saw the back cover.  Aren't they cute?  Just a few of the beaded miniature creatures by Heather Kingsley-Heath:

There are also TWO MEN featured as designers in this book.  It amazes me that their work is so detailed.  So full of supple shapes and sleek design.   My instincts tell me that they each have great respect for women, and WHAT WOMEN WANT.


Another favorite thing in the book - the admission by at least two of the designers that they still have not mastered BEAD CROCHET.  You mean I'm not alone?  I have not been able to master it, or even get the hang of it for that matter - and I CROCHET!  I laughed out loud at the admission by the first one, and clapped for joy at the admission of the second.   

After reading the interviews on each uniquely talented designer, I realize that we are all on this big beading journey together-garnering fame, overcoming obstacles and meeting challenges on different levels, for the same reason - to create a thing of beauty with beads.   I love that everyone is so into using the Internet, and Facebook in particular to market themselves and network, just as I do.

My thanks again to Marcia DeCoster (and her husband Mark for picking MY NAME from the "hat") for sending me this lovely autographed book.  Can't wait to see what you have in store for us next, Marcia!

Hope you're doing some peaceful beading where ever you may be.
TTFN 






No comments: