Pages

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Another busy day in beady paradise...

Today brings the arrival of all the beads in 7 different color schemes, and assembling the kits before the class on the 6th. Could my mom have timed her home trip any better? Now I get to put her to work! I hope that my students and shoppers are happy with my color and bead choices.
We're going to be going to the Art Gallery today, too. Mom didn't get to attend the opening or the open house, so she's arrived home in time to at least still see the exhibit. It will also give me a chance to check for those big RED SOLD tags on any of the items that may be spoken for (I HOPE there's LOTS!) and also to check the guest book to see how many people have actually passed though to view and comment. Again - I HOPE there's LOTS! We'll be going to lunch afterward, too, so all in all - today is MOM day.
Set aside the Pacific Burst project yesterday. Just can't seem to get those 'bursts' to sit right. So I did my usual and favorite WINGING IT! with a new project in soft sandy beige pearls, and a pale blue color accented with Blue Topaz, Aquamarine, and, as the finishing touch - a few pops of bright CAPRI blue too. All these colors are in the pendant piece that I'm using. Can't wait to finish - which may or may not be today depending on WHEN that bead shipment arrives....
I had an interesting customer in the shop yesterday. She had a watch that she had the band custom made by another bead artist. She was very unhappy with the result - and wanted my opinion on how to gently refuse to accept it. Ultimately - the piece was too large. Secondly - the magnetic fastener, while beautiful, was HUGE - bigger than the watch face itself. I offered to help her choose beads and make her a new one - but she still has the task of speaking with the other artist first. She wants her watch face, and to pay the artist for her time. I have no idea what that particular artist might charge for time - could be nothing - could ultimately be the bulk of the cost of the piece. I wished her luck and told her to let me know if she wants my assistance afterward. Makes me rather nervous that she may be making the rounds to ALL of us LBS owners doing the same thing - and will she be happy with what I come up with? I may ask her for a non-refundable deposit ON TOP of a custom work charge. Sticky tricky situation.....

No comments: