Pages

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Mouth wide shut - mind wide open

I've been trying to be good this week.  I've started to comment on several blogs (bead and non bead), and have changed my mind before posting.  Don't know why - it usually makes me feel better to comment, and I try not to be nasty with or about people, I just set people straight, give them needed info, and basically say what I think-agreeable or no.  But because I haven't been doing that so much this week, I think my mind is concentrating on ME, and what I can do about MY beads, my sales, my art, and my LIFE.  I have a list of things to talk to the bookstore owner about today - like having a fun, psychic fair type open house to introduce me and my beads and jewelry to the new age community members that may not know me already, and introducing kits for bracelets with semi precious stones, listing the healing properties, adding another display rack - stuff like that. Plus I've got a few more project rolling around in my head that I should probably write down before I lose them, AND, last but not least (this is the part of the blog that DOES have me opening my mouth, so Etsy lovers beware)  I think I've also made a really big decision - I'm getting out of Etsy.   I have to wait until July to actually be DONE, but I will not be listing items anymore, or relisting, or renewing.  I know that will make me virtually unseeable by Etsy shoppers, which is one of my biggest pet peeves about them.  They need to figure out a way to feature scroll items from ALL the shops, not just the ones that listed in the last 5 seconds.  And paying to be featured?  Don't waste your time.  Not part of one of their little cliques (teams)?  Don't bother trying to sell.  I've listed items in my shop on a DAILY basis for over a year - semi precious beads, glass beads, cloisonne beads, jewelry (total waste of time), and have had less than 20 measly sales to show for it.  And my prices aren't high.  In fact, I think they're pretty good compared to some of the other beads listed out there ($200 for a strand of garnet.  PLEASE).  I even offer FREE shipping.  AND send a free bead with order now and again.  All of my feedback has been happy and positive.  But it's evidently not enough for the word to get out to the customers.  Etsy is just entirely too inundated with sellers of the same or similar items, and it's just too hard to predict what key words to use, and the easiest way for people to find your item before the one that just got listed a second ago.  Now, that being said - there are some exceptions - I have a few Facebook and blog friends that are successful, great sellers there.  And I wish I knew their secret.  But I've decided to stop wasting my time on finding the key.   I tried to be a part of the etailer world - it just hasn't worked out for me.  So I'm going to concentrate on what does (or at least what has in the past) - selling good, quality semiprecious beads to the community here in town, through the bookstore for now, adding more classes, kits, hands-on quickie 'make & take its',  custom pieces, and eventually, maybe, my own store again.
Did I say mouth wide shut?  Ooops.  Oh well.  I guess that's what blogging was invented for - opening minds, hearts, souls and MOUTHS when the mood strikes us.  I'm sorry if I offended any Etsy lovers with my rant - but I have a feeling I am not alone.....
TTFN

No comments: