Pages

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

What a day....

Arrived at Ingham Regional before 7am. This may not seem early for you - but for us - it's a crazy time. He's not even usually out of work (graveyard shift) until then - and I don't wake until he arrives home 1/2 hour later....so he's had no food or sleep for 12 hours, and I'm barely functioning at that hour.
There were TONS of people in and out of the prep room - all of them asking the same questions over and over - name, DOB, why are you here? (I thought THEY should already know that - & felt like asking them that after the 4th or 5th time). Surgery went well, and quickly - the recovery - not so much. They had a very hard time regulating his pain medication, and he was there for 2 hours longer than they planned. Not sure why something like this is considered outpatient - I'm assuming mostly because of the cost of healthcare these days. So finally - we arrived home, miraculously got him to his Laz-E-Boy - where he remains. He's had to get up just once - and it wasn't easy. I hope he never, ever, EVER has to go through something like this again - and have a new found sympathy for anyone who subjects themselves to the pain. He was hoping to travel to the west side of the state on Saturday. I'm thinkin' - NOT. (The RN agreed).
I hope we are both able to get some sleep tonight...
He did, however, take into account that he may be monopolizing all of my time this week, and did one of the sweetest things he's ever done during our 27 years of marriage - he went to a book signing and bought me the newest book by one of my most favorite authors - and had it autographed. He called me the day she appeared - and I was just too busy at the shop to get away. He decided then that he would go in my place - and was fascinated by her - and her charm of the audience. I can't wait to start reading it - Borderline by Nevada Barr. If you've never read anything by her- she is, in real life - a forest ranger that moves from park to park in the U.S. She writes an adventure/murder mystery involving the same character, also a park ranger, about each and every park she works in. They are all very exciting, very detailed and very GOOD. I love her, and look forward to each and every one. I have read ALL of her books so far - and now I have the new one-autographed! He sent me on a treasure hunt for it when we got him home today....My hero.....
I'm glad I brought home my "bag of tricks" (aka my bag of BEADS!) because I think I'll be needed to do lifting and waiting for another day. I wish I'd have known that the waiting room at the hospital had a table I could work at - I'd have passed the time BEADING!
TTFN - need to check on the invalid....

No comments: