Pages

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Creative Cookery

I miss cooking.  I was sort of getting in a rut with it, doing it night after night  - but now that I only get to actually cook a full course meal (sometimes with dessert) one or two days every couple weeks because of Terry's schedule - I got jiggy with it!  lol
We weren't able to cook out today - Mother Nature had other plans, so I had to come up with something else that I had on hand.   I had alfredo sauce, some imitation crab meat, a can of tomatoes, and some other veggies AND CHEESE.  And VOILA!  Crab Alfredo Goulash was born: 
1 small onion, chopped
1 can sliced mushrooms
1 pkg.  flake or chunk imitation crab meat
1 large can diced tomatoes, drained
1 small jar alfredo sauce
sprinkle of oregano
dash of paprika
1 C. mozzarella cheese (optional)
Macaroni
In a large saucepan, saute chopped onion and mushrooms in olive oil until onions transparent.  Add drained tomatoes and alfredo sauce.  Stir well.  Add spices, and the crab meat, bring to a boil, cover and simmer.
Bring water for macaroni to a boil. Add macaroni, cook and stir til done; drain.   Not sure how much I used - just enough to stir in to crab mixture when drained.  Mix well.  You can either simmer a few minutes, and then serve - or add the 1 C. mozzarella and cover until melted in.  It. Was. YUMMO.  A little lighter than regular goulash, not quite as spicy.  You wouldn't need to add the paprika either, if you wanted it more alfredo-ish.  Sorry I don't have more exact measurements for this - I don't usually use actual measurements.  I just throw it in until it looks and tastes good!
I served this with baked carrots (baked in onion soup mix and water, worchestershire sauce and honey), and garlic toast.   We've got peach cobbler too (not my recipe) but we're too full to eat it now!
I wish I had a photo of my concoction.  Didn't realize I was going to want to share until it had been chowed!
Peaceful rainy Sunday,
TTFN

No comments: